Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Wednesdays, Bath Salts and Craigslist: A Story For The Ages

No one is happy it's Wednesday, including myself. So let's just get that out of the way. This week has been a beast and to sum it up I would like to quote Lady Chablis of Savannah fame, "Two tears in a bucket, mother..."

Okay, I just couldn't go through with it. My mother reads this blog and sometimes you can't just say whatever you want. I mean, I usually say whatever I want but maybe this Wednesday is about turning over a new leaf (but probably not).

Before this one-sided conversation gets real dark and weird let's change the subject, shall we?

My Craigslist addiction is a real thing. This was brought to light when Myke and I were watching "Intervention." He compared my fondness for Craigslist to a guy on bath salts having psychotic episodes. Talk about driving a point home. I don't manifest images of dead people like that guy but I did just begin hearing the "Intervention" theme song playing in my head. You know, the one they play when we're updated that said addict relapsed three month later. Myke spoiled my intervention by announcing I needed one. Way to ruin a party! Now that I know I can continue to revel in my unhealthy Craigslist habit I thought I'd share my findings. If I can't buy the goods, someone should!

Living in Atlanta I have found that there are a few truths regarding Craigslist:

  • Most of the reasonable finds are not within the perimeter. You want those country folk who don't know what treasures they have. (This is not a slam on country folk, for without you I would have an empty house and a even emptier story bank.) Searching "all Atlanta" seems to produce more fruitful results.
  • Sometimes the cheap price is not worth the hour plus drive. If you're stuck in traffic and depleting your gas tank then is it really a good deal? I know this seems to directly negate truth number one. To be candid, I do not follow this rule. I will follow a good deal to the ends of the earth. You do what you want. 
  • If you are traveling a distance to see your glorious find try to negotiate before showing up. It is best to be up front and know what the seller is willing to do before you are face to face. It's Craigslist courtesy. Of course you never know what condition something is in before seeing it in person. There is some wiggle room here. Bring smaller bills so that you can account for flaws that were not obvious in the pictures posted.

What is currently calling to me in a manner similar to a psychotic episode on bath salts you ask?


Let's start with this smoky, glass topped kitchen table. Of course I'm drawn to the brass and wood base. I think it could be updated quite nicely with some modern chairs with sleek lines. I'm thinking something in a wood finish to echo the base. Maybe this. The $100 price tag seems fair enough. I'd offer $75 because you will have to purchase chairs and paying full price on Craigslist makes me cry myself to sleep at night.


I feel like right now you're probably judging me so hard. There's just something about this clock that makes me want to rearrange a bookshelf to showcase it. I can't help my feelings. I'm a child of the '80s and it shows. For $10 there is no justification needed. When someone asks what time it is, I'll know.


This photo makes it difficult to see this sofa's potential. If you click through the additional pics on Craigslist you can get a better idea. Of course if your look is less "Brady Bunch" then you'll need to spend the money to get this sucker reupholstered. Which, by the way, I need a friend to learn this trade asap. Of course I can't pay you for your actual labor. But just think about the satisfaction you'll get from a job well done. Right? I would choose a chunky herringbone fabric a la this.


I wish there were more pictures of this dinette set. I feel like for $30 it almost doesn't matter the condition. The options for re-upholstery, color and finish are endless. What worries me is the "as is" part of the description. As though there's a lion strapped to it's undercarriage. So if you go for a look make sure to listen for growling.


I have quite the list of items but I'll end with this guy. I just envision putting this in the bedroom by our large floor to ceiling windows and taking a nap or reading a book. I'd simply add some cushions in a vintage, floral fabric, grounded in black to tie in the dark wrapped corners. The only thing keeping us apart is the $175 price tag. I would love you forever for $50. For now, I will love you from a far. Perhaps we can be pen pals.

I hope this sneak peek into my obsession has given you some interior inspiration as you heed the warnings of bath salt addiction. It has me balancing my checkbook. Until tomorrow Craig! I will look at your list all the days of my life. Kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment