Thursday, October 23, 2014

Poms Away

I apologize for the name of this post. Sometimes I channel Al Roker and then look what happens, puns for days. It was almost titled, "Poms Over Baghdad." I know! I haven't been able to look at myself in the mirror all day.

Let's talk decor, shall we? (#sharprightturn) I've been honing in a color palette for the living room and decorating accordingly. Our couch is a vintage, yellow ochre in a tufted velvet. It's truly harvest gold but I think that only rings familiar if you were alive in the same era in which the couch was created. I was not. My color palette had to revolve around this large statement piece that came with a love seat and ottoman. To pair with this throwback color I chose a royal blue and a blush pink.


Pretty, right? I am still working on the layout, wall hangings, additional furniture, etc. I have been collecting items here and there. 

I work frighteningly close to an Ikea. I could reach out the window and touch it. (If my office had windows and my arms were just a tad bit longer.) It is right across the highway and I could be stuffing my face full of Swedish meatballs in all of five minutes flat. I find myself wandering the marketplace more than what might be considered normal. As Myke always says to me, "We need to talk about what you consider 'normal.'" That conversation has yet to happen. I feel like it would just be me making hand gestures and drawing rudimentary shapes. A hybrid of charades and Pictionary, if you will. Nobody wins.

On my last excursion I used my Ikea Family membership card to snag these cushion covers for $3. I bought two. They've been on the couch living the color palette and the dream. I just felt like they needed some pizzazz, some personality, some life. Sadly, I don't have access to a BeDazzler but I do have plenty of leftover yarn from a previous project.



I've been creating a totally "normal" amount of pom poms. I find it to be very therapeutic and calming while watching the Real Housewives of New Jersey. Especially the last episode when Teresa and Joe Giudice were sentenced to prison time. It was the pom poms that kept my blood pressure at normal levels. It also makes me feel slightly better about watching mindless television. I will be chin deep in poms when the Atlanta season is back on air. 


I've found the tutorial on the Design Mom blog the easiest to use and master. All you need is yarn, your hands and a pair of scissors. It's important to note that you will want to keep the "tails" of the pom poms in tact, as they will be used later to attach the poms to the pillow covering. The tails are created when wrapping the yarn bundle in the middle and tying it off. 




I used a large yarn needle, mentioned in this previous post, to thread the tails of the pom poms. I pulled them through the pillow cover one at a time and tied them into a knot inside.

Repeat this process wherever you want to add some flair. Maybe limiting it to inanimate objects. It'll be hard to control those urges but I have faith. 

Here is the finished project... 



I'll be honest here and say that I did this project twice. I can admit failure and the first go around was one of those times. I started off with much smaller, tighter poms. They just didn't look right with the scale of the pillow. It was probably good enough but I didn't want to post with regrets. I have enough of those that keep me up at night.




This project only works while watching anything on BRAVO, TLC, HGTV or the Food Network (excluding My Grandmother's Ravioli (#myfave)). Please do not attempt such work when your full attention is required! 

No comments:

Post a Comment